Saturday, December 17, 2016

Due 12-17-16
Written Analysis 5
                        Over this course we have discussed many different theories but I think stereotypes is the one that sticks out most with me. You can look and see stereotypes everywhere. Culture, race, religion, sexuality, and basically anywhere else.  I believe during this course I did these analysis incorrectly because I didn’t stay with the same topic but picked different ones each week but the stereotype week meant the most to me in my daily life.
            From my knowledge and living life I have always noticed how people look at others and it makes me sad at times. Growing up I had a father who viewed that whites were the best race and I should feel privileged to be such. He also tried to instill that homosexuals were horrible people going to hell for their choice. I would say my dad was my biggest influence in the ignorance of stereotypes but yet he fits in one perfectly. Most people think Kentucky is filled with ignorant hillbillies who are racist. Yes, this isn’t true but sometimes it is because that is where my father is from.       
            His views have sculpted my life and shown me the person I don’t want to be. I took an African American to prom just to piss him off. I have lots of homosexual friends because I know it’s not a choice but how they were born because I struggled for years with being bisexual. Now as an adult I have cut my father out of my life and I am a lot happier not surrounded by that hate he preaches.

            I will think of stereotypes differently because of this course because it made me see the other stereotypes that exist in the world other than the ones I have faced. This knowledge will allow me to raise my children with the views of acceptance of all things. Stereotypes hurt people, they cause hatred, and they divide nations. You will never be able to change how people view or perceive others but that shouldn’t let you stop from trying. Give people a chance and stand up for what you know is right. One person’s actions do not determine the masses so please don’t live your life being scared or hating because we are all people with our own demons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment